Comprehensive Scotland Winter Trip Gear List
This list contains everything committee members take with us on winter trips. Obviously delete for yourselves as appropriate, but this may be useful for those of you who forget things or don't know what to pack.
The club has sufficient crampons and ice axes which members can borrow for the trips.
Please note: everyone who intends to join us on a winter trip must attend the Winter Trip Safety/Skills Briefing before they are allowed on the trip.
NB: Winter trips only refers to the weekend trips to Scotland in February. No special winter gear is required for other trips in winter months, unless specified otherwise in the trip announcement.
Hiking Gear and General Clothing
- Walking boots - must be rated B2+
- Walking trousers - not jeans!
- Waterproof jacket and trousers
- Rucksack (30-40 litres at least!)
- Ski goggles (really useful!)
- Drybags (to line your rucksack or sufficiently thick bin liners)
- Water bottles / platypus / flask
- Woolly hat
- Waterproof gloves + spare gloves
- Handwarmers for those who get cold hands easily
- Head torch and spare batteries
- Sufficient underwear (+ a couple of spares in case you get wet)
- Thermal tops
- Long johns
- T-shirts (synthetic for walking in)
- Suitable jumpers (e.g.: fleece)
- Bag for all your extra kit
- Sleeping bag
- Roll mat (Hut dependent)
- Survival bag
- Tubular neckscaff
- Trainers for evening and journey up
- One set of normal comfy clothes for the journey up and evening
- Toothbrush and toothpaste
- Glasses / Contacts and solution
- Hair bobbles & pins
- Wet wipes (infinitely useful in every situation)
- Shampoo & Conditioner
- Soap / Shower gel
- Personal medication (painkillers for hangover?)
- Earplugs (useful if you have a snorer in the room)
- Eye shade
- Tampons etc.
- Lunch for each day hiking (the more calories the better!)
- Any snacks for the journey up
- Snacks for the hike (e.g.: chocolate raisins)
- Phone & charger
- Camera (with charged battery and a memory card)
- Preferred tipple for evenings
- MP3 if owned for the bus journey
- Compass and whistle (mainly for leaders but if you have one bring it)